Remember those soaring gas prices? Remember the days not long ago when we thought $5.00 per gallon might become the norm? Those days appear to be over for now. The one benefit of the worsening economy is that gas prices are dropping significantly. According to a USA Today Article, GasPricesUSAToday10-14-08.pdf, the average price of gasoline fell 33-cents during the past week, the largest price decline ever recorded by the government. That's good news for consumers who have been hard hit by soaring prices for just about every basic need - from food to a wide range of products and services - along with diminished retirements accounts that tanked during Wall Street's crisis. Recent weeks haven't been pretty for the economy, the average consumer, or the corporate CEO.
While soaring gas prices hurt our pocketbooks, they also did somethingbeneficial for the environment because folks drove fewer vehicle miles, thus helping to reduce carbon footprints around the world. I'm hopeful that folks will reduce their gas-guzzling ways for good - to preserve hard-hit pocketbooks and protect the environment. It's Monday - Tip Day for ways to 'Give The Boot To Our Carbon Footprints'. In 2008 my New Year Resolution is to 'show gratitude' for my blessings by 'giving back' and the environment is one of my recipients. I dedicate three columns each week to news, information and ideas about small, daily steps we can take to reduce our Carbon Footprints. Consider the huge, positive, long-range impact on the environment if each one of us performs 'habitual' actions - like driving fewer vehicle miles, using more energy efficient light bulbs, and turning off lights when we leave rooms. My goal, as an individual, is to urge others to follow my lead, and take a few small steps each and every day toward protecting the environment.
Maybe you'll consider joining me. You don't have to make drastic, overnight changes in your lifestyle. Start with something small: Make a decision today to begin building your own new habits - one small step at a time, one day at a time. Start by continuing your newly cultivated habit of driving fewer vehicle miles to conserve cash and gas . . . and to reduce your Carbon Footprint! To keep you moving in the right direction, here is a list of informative websites that I have compiled this year. They've helped in my own effort to protect and preserve the environment. Enjoy!
Climate Change -Take Action Today!
- Carbon Footprint
- Clean Air-Cool Planet
- ConservaStore - Light Bulbs
- Conservation International
- EnvironmentalLights.com - Light Bulbs
- Climatecrisis.net - An Inconvenient Truth
- Direct.Gov.UK - Calculate Your Carbon Footprint
- Environmental Defense - Fight Global Warming
- Environmental Defense - 'How To Pick A Better Bulb'.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency-Department of Energy, Energy Star.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Personal Emissions Calculator
- FastCompany.com - How Many Lightbulbs Does It Take To Change The World(FastCompanyComLightBulbs.pdf).
- The Climate Trust
- David Suzuki Foundation
- Wikipedia - Carbon Offsets
- The Environmental Defense Fund
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Climate Change
- Joint Statement By WWF, Friends of The Earth and Green Peace on Carbon Offets: WWF-GP-FoE_on_offseting.pdf
Earth Day - April 22, 2008
- Earth Day Network
- Earth Day - Earth 911
- Earth Day - Wikipedia
- Earth Day - World Wildlife Fund
- Earth Day - EnviroLink Network
- Earth Day - The Wilderness Society
- Earth Day - The Nature Conservancy
- Earth Day - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- About.Com Earth Day - Washington, D.C., Maryland & Virginia
Arbor Day - April 25, 2008
- Arbor Day Foundation
- Wikipedia - Arbor Day
- Clean Air Gardening
- Trees Are Good
- American Forests
- United Nations Environment Programme - Tree Planting
How To Help The Environment - Tips For Kids
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Climate Change Kids Site
- NRDC's Global Warming Challenge
- Cool Kids For A Cool Climate
- Pew Center Global Climate Change
- Science News For Kids - Climate Change
Tips On Recycling
- Earth 911
- Wikipedia - Recycling
- Grassroots Recycling Network
- PlanetPals - Recycling For Kids
- The Encyclopedia Of Earth - Recycling
- TreeHugger - How To Green Your Recycling
- RecycleWorks - San Mateo County, California
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Magazine Publishers Family Literacy Project - Read, Rescue & Reuse
Tips On Reducing Plastic Bag Use
- Poconorecord.com - Plastic Bag Use
- Planet Ark - Why Are Plastic Bags A Problem?
- Environmental Literacy Council - Paper or Plastic?
- Salon - Plastic Bags Are Killings Us - SalonPlasticBags.pdf
- AlterNet, The Great Plastic Bag Plague - AlterNetPlasticBags.pdf
- Portland Business Journal - Whole Foods Market Bans Plastic: PortlandBusinessJournalPlasticBags.pdf
Tips On Winterizing Homes
Tips On Winterizing Gardens Tips On Mulching Gardens
Tips On Winterizing Gardens
Tips On Mulching Gardens
Remember: I Resolve To . . . Achieve My New Year Resolutions, One Resolution, One Day At A Time For One Year. It's your choice. Do it today. Turn your resolution into reality in five simple, common sense steps: Dare To Dream, Decide, Define, Develop A Plan, and Do It Daily. Make your resolution a permanent Lifetime Resolution, something that's with you for good! Above all, Be A Resolutionista, someone who makes resolutions, keeps resolutions, and enjoys the journey! Let's Go For It!
Need More Inspiration? Wear Your Resolution! Make Every Day New Year's Day. Make Every Day Count. Visit my resolution shop by clicking this link: http://www.cafepress.com/iresolveto
Kim M. Simpson - October 13, 2008
Copyright © I Resolve To™ . . . * All Rights Reserved