Valentine's Day is for lovers and the customary exchange of heart-shaped Valentine's, but it can be much, much more! According to Wikipedia, the exchange of handwritten 'Valentines' in the 19th Century gave way to the modern-day version of mass-produced greeting cards. Rather than rely on the commercialized-version of Valentine's, why not spread the love around today and beyond?
I intend to 'Share The Love' by engaging in Pre-Meditated Acts of Kindess, as part of my I Resolve To . . . Challenge: 365 Resolutions For Health & Happiness. Why not join me? The objective is very simple: Do at least one thing each and every day to promote health and happiness for 'YOU'. Banish the 'Someday, Someday, Someday Syndrome'. Instead, make every day New Year's Day. Make every day count. The list of possibilities is infinite and can be tailored to your own dreams, resolutions and daily goals. If you need some help - a little nudge, a bit of inspiration, tips, advice, and news about the best ways to make resolutions a reality - please use IResolveTo.Com as one of your resources. Resolve365 in 2009.
One of my 2008-2009 resolutions is to engage in PreMeditated Acts Of Kindess. My goal is to give more conscious thought to my actions and the way that I treat others - to work at being kinder because it is the right thing to do, without worrying about receiving anything in return, be it kind gesture or word, though my experience is that kindness shown is usually returned in kind. With that in mind, there are so many ways that you can send a Valentine to someone. Why not think outside the box? Yes, expressing affection to loved ones should be a top priority, but there are also other ways to show gratitude and kindness to others. Here is my short-list for 2009:
- Do something nice - a smile, praise, or an extra tip - for the people who help you through your day: The barista who brews your coffee, the bus driver who gives you a friendly nod everyday, the grocery clerk, and the wait-person at your favorite restaurant. All of those people who lend quality and support to your life.
- Send a small donation to your favorite charity. The end of the calendar year, 'tax-time', doesn't have to be the only time to make donations to priority causes and charitable organizations. Volunteer for a cherished cause. I signed up for the second year in a row to do the Breast Cancer 3-Day, 60-mile walk, and raise $2500. It is such a rewarding sense of achievement and joy when you know you are making a difference helping others.
- Pay a highway toll for the person behind you for no other reason that it will make you and him/her feel great. What a nice surprise!
- Do something for the environment today: Turn off lights behind you, use fewer plastic bags, drive less miles, screw in compact fluorescent light bulbs, and reduce Carbon Footprints. Recycle, Reuse, Reduce!
- LOVE your kid, your dog, cat, birds, and all the other small, fragile, wonderful creatures that depend upon you. What better love is there than that? Their unconditional love is priceless and they should be treated as priceless gems in return.
- Hold the door open for the person behind you, smile more and remember 'please and thank you'.
- Mind your manners in traffic. Treat the folks in surrounding cars the way you would treat them in person.
- Help a colleague who is struggling with a problem.
- If you can't say something positive, don't say anything at all to friends, loved ones, or strangers.
- Call an old friend, your siblings, Mother, or other family members just to say "Hello, I care"!
- Write letters to loved ones by hand and remember birthdays!
Remember: I Resolve To . . . Achieve My New Year Resolutions, One Resolution, One Day At A Time For One Year. It's your choice. Do it today. Turn your resolution into reality in five simple, common sense steps: Dare To Dream, Decide, Define, Develop A Plan, and Do It Daily. Make your resolution a permanent Lifetime Resolution, something that's with you for good! Above all, Be A Resolutionista, someone who makes resolutions, keeps resolutions, and enjoys the journey! Let's Go For It!
Need More Inspiration? Wear Your Resolution! Make Every Day New Year's Day. Make Every Day Count. Visit my resolution shop by clicking this link: http://www.cafepress.com/iresolveto
Kim M. Simpson - February 14, 2009
Copyright © I Resolve To™ . . . * All Rights Reserved