In 2009, I launched an inspirational series of interviews with ordinary folks who do extraordinary things. They breathe life into their dreams, resolutions and daily goals, one small step at a time, one day at a time over the long haul. Though they may be statistically in the minority of resolution-makers (the ones who succeed), I wanted to highlight 'what works', and give them credit for their accomplishments. 'Lisa Orgler was the fourth Resolutionista' inducted into the I Resolve To . . . Hall Of Fame and the inspirational series continues in 2010!
LISA ORGLER REFLECTS
I love painting. I love designing. I love writing. So I started a Blog on January 1, 2009 with a hefty goal . . . to create one food-related illustration each day paired with a few thoughts on The Lunch Box Project. Here I am, almost a year later, amazed that I have stuck with it. This journey has opened my eyes to the breadth of the Internet, the power of social networking, and it has ignited my entrepreneurial spirit. It also has given me a peek into a world that I feel is now within reach . . . one where I can paint, design and write full-time.
When Kim asked me to write this, I began to contemplate the next adventurous steps. What is my plan to paint, design and write every day? I have laid out my personal goals below. Some are simple, while others are lofty.
- Paint every day. This somewhat simple goal has taught me that discipline is key to achieving success. Painting daily not only strengthens my skills, but also challenges me to do continual 'idea' research for freshness.
- Stay focused. Before this year, I was all over the place with my illustrations . . . from flowers to animals to food to gardens. I plan to continue focusing on foods in hopes of developing new ideas and designs in the foodie arena. I even made my Etsy Shop more focused recently to reflect this goal. The irony, is that my expertise is in garden design and not cooking (I am horrible). I have found that focusing on something outside my comfort zone has challenged my creativity and skills to higher levels.
- Expand my Circle. The Internet has shown me how accessible the world is today. Prior to this past year I barely sold outside my state and now I am shipping paintings to Indonesia and Australia. I hope to continue developing my marketing techniques and testing new ones. I also wish to look into wholesale to see where that can take my work.
- Create a better website. I have my Blog and recently started a newsletter, but I feel my ideas need to be pulled together better. Currently, I am working with a talented graphic designer to help me achieve this goal. Look for that in 2010.
- Take my art to the next level. How? I would love to write books and design products with my illustrations. I currently am hashing out a couple of foodie book ideas. My challenge is to make them fun, yet informational. After the first couple of books, maybe I can design tableware and textiles. Who knows!
- Expand my newsletter. I try to keep my newsletter focused on other's talents . . . whether they create great recipes, take fabulous food photos, or make beautiful food art. My next step is to incorporate food floral arranging. I always have enjoyed checking out other's art and now I can share that with my readers.
- Sharing my art in new ways. I love sharing my art on The Lunch Box Project daily, sharing it through free monthly foodie calendars in my newsletter, and through giveaways here and there. I hope to continue thinking of new, innovative ways to share it, so people can continue to bring it into their lives.
- Happy 2010! -
Remember: I Resolve To . . . Achieve My New Year Resolutions, One Resolution, One Day At A Time For One Year. It's your choice. Do it today. Turn your resolution into reality in five simple, common sense steps: Dare To Dream, Decide, Define, Develop A Plan, and Do It Daily. Make your resolution a permanent Lifetime Resolution, something that's with you for good! Above all, Be A Resolutionista, someone who makes resolutions, keeps resolutions, and enjoys the journey! Let's Go For It!
Need More Inspiration? Wear Your Resolution By Visiting The I Resolve To . . . Shop At CafePress: I Resolve To . . . Resolutionista Gear And By Joining The Official I Resolve To . . . Group At Gather.Com. Get going on your 2010 New Year Resolutions with the new I Resolve To . . . Worksheet & Promise: I Resolve To . . . Worksheet & Promise.
Kim M. Simpson - December 24, 2009
Copyright © I Resolve To® . . . * All Rights Reserved.